Registered motorcycles have doubled in number over the last decade according to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) reports. Unfortunately, motorcycle accidents have gone up as well. The Texas Department of Transportation documented 496 fatal motorcycle crashes in Texas in 2016. These crashes left drivers and passengers with various incapacitating injuries. Motorcyclists do not have physical protection which means they can easily get injured when they are involved in accidents. Contact a motorcycle accident lawyer if you have been injured in a motorcycle accident caused by a negligent driver.
Things motorcyclists can do to stay safe
In varying weather conditions and at night, truck drivers, automobile drivers find it hard to see motorcycles because they are smaller. Motorcyclists can use the following tips to stay safe on the roads:
- You should wear reflective gear, keep your headlights on at daytime and install a windshield to your bike to be more visible to drivers
- You should wear a helmet to protect your eyes from wind and glare, and other appropriate footwear, gloves and jackets to limit abrasions when accidents occur
- Get the required training on how to ride and maintain your bike so that you can respond to a dangerous situation in time to avoid an accident
However, taking preventative actions might not prevent all motorcycle accidents. Sometimes rogue drivers, drunk drivers or distracted drivers can cause such accidents even if you take the above precautions. When an accident happens, contact a motorcycle accident lawyer to ensure that your rights are protected.
Actions to take after a motorcycle accident
After a motorcycle accident, there are certain things you can do immediately to protect your rights to a maximum recovery in your case. They include:
- Contact your lawyer right away because this will allow your lawyer to preserve any evidence that may help in negotiations with insurance companies
- Do not talk about your crash on social media or with anybody because anything you say can be used against you by the insurer.
- Make sure you get medical help right away and make sure to get evaluated by a specialist after your initial treatment
- Take and keep the photo of your accident scene, police accident reports, motor cycle repair bills and letters from the insurance companies. They may prove useful later.
- Get the contact and insurance information from the other driver
The financial burdens that your lawyer can help you with after a motorcycle accident include lost wages, expensive medical bills, motorcycle repair or replacement and so on. A motorcycle accident law firm can help walk you through this situation.
Motorcycle accident injuries
The most common injuries that you can sustain in a motorcycle accident include:
- Spine injuries: This involves fractures to vertebra, slipped disks and other injuries to the spine that may have long-term consequences
- Brain injuries: Motorcyclist can suffer contusions or concussions in a motorcycle accident. Even minor brain injuries can lead to devastating consequences
- Broken bones and fractures
- Paralysis: A motorcycle accident can lead to the victim getting crippled
These are just some of the injuries that can occur in a motorcycle accident.